Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Freshwater Puffer Fish

Old 09-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
MartaFuentes

Help identifying and caring for fish

Hello!

I am an 8th grade science teacher and I recently got two puffer fish for my classroom. I would like a little help identifying what kind of puffer fish they are.
Here is a picture:
http://msfuentesphysics.tumblr.com/image/32554997848

The shop owner that sold me the fish had me add two water conditioners to the water of my 3 gallon tank. One was a water softener and the other added good bacteria cultures to the water. I let the water be fish-less for 4 days then I added 3 teaspoons of aquarium salt for fresh water fish (http://www.angelfishaquatics.co.uk/e...3-oz-420-p.jpg) before bringing the two puffers into their new home. They are eating frozen blood-worms everyday and look pretty happy.
The temperature in the tank is 77-80 degrees F.

Am I doing everything I should be doing?
I have read that they need some harder food sources to keep their beaks healthy-- what do you recommend.
Also, I read that there should be salt added to the water, is what I added ok or does it need salt water aquarium salt?

Last but not least, are there good caresheets I can print and display in my classroom so that my students can read and take ownership?

Thank you so much for any and all help!

Marta
MartaFuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Master of Puffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartaFuentes View Post
Hello!

I am an 8th grade science teacher and I recently got two puffer fish for my classroom. I would like a little help identifying what kind of puffer fish they are.
Here is a picture:
http://msfuentesphysics.tumblr.com/image/32554997848

The shop owner that sold me the fish had me add two water conditioners to the water of my 3 gallon tank. One was a water softener and the other added good bacteria cultures to the water. I let the water be fish-less for 4 days then I added 3 teaspoons of aquarium salt for fresh water fish (http://www.angelfishaquatics.co.uk/e...3-oz-420-p.jpg) before bringing the two puffers into their new home. They are eating frozen blood-worms everyday and look pretty happy.
The temperature in the tank is 77-80 degrees F.

Am I doing everything I should be doing?
I have read that they need some harder food sources to keep their beaks healthy-- what do you recommend.
Also, I read that there should be salt added to the water, is what I added ok or does it need salt water aquarium salt?

Last but not least, are there good caresheets I can print and display in my classroom so that my students can read and take ownership?

Thank you so much for any and all help!

Marta

Welcome the world of puffer slavery, they are the cutest of fish.

I bought 2 green spots yesterday for my 60 gallon tank. Puffers are very territorial and need a large swimming space with lots of cover. A 3 gallon tank will quickly be out grown.

Ask at your LFS for snails. Any that sell live plants will probably have some in thier tanks and are usually keen to get rid of them or a small or no cost to the customer.

Live food like brineshrimp and bloodworm give them exercise as they chase them round the tank. Some puffer slaves feed live shrimp to their fish, though I don't.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Master of Puffers

Green spotted puffer profile
Old 09-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
MartaFuentes

thank you!

Thanks for the info!

Do I need to add salt to the water or am I ok with the "aquarium salt" I mentioned above?
MartaFuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Pippin88

You need to have marine salt, like instant ocean, in your tank as these are high level brackish fish. Also, a 3 gallon is FAR too small for even one, and you cannot have more than one unless you have a very large tank as they are territorial and could kill each other eventually.

You need a much bigger tank for one of these guys; 30 gallons is the minimum as they get fairly large and are not only very active, but put out a lot of waste. They need a salt level of around 0.15sg, and should be eating a variety of frozen foods as well as pond snails to keep their beaks from overgrowing.

I'm afraid you will have to return at least one of the fish, both if you cannot provide a large enough home for him. =/
A 10-20 gallon tank would be "ok" for awhile as long as you do regular water changes and clean out excess food, but once he starts growing a larger tank is a MUST.