Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Freshwater Puffer Fish

Old 01-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Boredomb

Your tank is going to be way too small for a Amazon sword. They get huge!!! Java ferns get pretty big also.
Alot of grass type plants require high lights and Co2 to get them to grow. Chain sword, Pygmy Chain sword, and Dwarf Sagittarius work ok in low light tanks. Not sure what type plants of plants would work in your tank. If I was you I would seriously think about getting at least a 5-10 gallon tank for the puffer. You could more types of plants and the fish would have more room to swim and be happier. Just saying. I know I said it before but it would be best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
jentralala
Reference Team

I agree with Boredomb. Why make it harder on yourself to take care of the puffer and possibly subject it to poor conditions? 2.5 gallons is nearly impossible to keep clean with such a messy fish. A ten gallon really is not that big and provides a lot more opportunities. I'm in the process of setting up a ten gallon for a DP.

Also, I would definitely get a worm culture going for it before you purchase one. They are very finicky eaters, from what I've heard, considering that they are wild caught and are used to eating worms, snails, and daphnia. This fish can easily starve to death in home aquaria. They are only 1" but are considered one of the most challenging to keep.
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
squishylittlefishies

It's allready all set up, and besides, I've got no extra money! My lightbulb says 120v 60hz 15w 190ma. No idea hat that means, but apparently it was enough to rapidly grow a crypt and a java fern in a 10 gal so I'm guessing it'splenty for the little tank?
squishylittlefishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
squishylittlefishies

It's kinda funny, I'm really good at keeping mor difficult fish, it's actually the 'beginner' ones I struggle with. I guess high maintenance is my thing. lol.
Also, I'm really good at training fish to eat. I've done it with all my pick fish. I just find a really strong smelling treat, add a little water, and pulverize it. Then, I suck it up into my special siphoning tool and squirt a tiny bit it in front of them so they pretty much get some wether they like it or not! They learn very quickly to come to it for food. Once they're trained, They'll eat anything off the end of it. Also, I'llhave them throw some food in the tank at the store so I can choose one that's a good eater.
Anyway, would it be better to do 50% wc weekly or 25% 2x a week? more? I like to mess around in my tanks...will hand stress her out?
Thanks!

Last edited by squishylittlefishies; 01-02-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: add info
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
Boredomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishylittlefishies View Post
It's kinda funny, I'm really good at keeping mor difficult fish, it's actually the 'beginner' ones I struggle with. I guess high maintenance is my thing. lol.
Also, I'm really good at training fish to eat. I've done it with all my pick fish. I just find a really strong smelling treat, add a little water, and pulverize it. Then, I suck it up into my special siphoning tool and squirt a tiny bit it in front of them so they pretty much get some wether they like it or not! They learn very quickly to come to it for food. Once they're trained, They'll eat anything off the end of it. Also, I'llhave them throw some food in the tank at the store so I can choose one that's a good eater.
Anyway, would it be better to do 50% wc weekly or 25% 2x a week? more? I like to mess around in my tanks...will hand stress her out?
Thanks!
Not sure your method for training fish to eat will work with the Dwarf Puffers. Live worms will do it everytime though! I had some DPs that I could practically shove frozen bloodworms in their month and they still won't eat them because they won't moving. It took me getting live worms and slowly transitioning them over to frozen bloodworms. Now they attack them at the cup that I pour them out of. lol

If I were you I would do 2 if not 3 50% wc weekly.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
squishylittlefishies

What if I bought some dwarf hairgrass and planted it in a bunch of tiny clumps. would that provide good cover or just take up space? Is my lighting good enough for that?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
Boredomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishylittlefishies View Post
What if I bought some dwarf hairgrass and planted it in a bunch of tiny clumps. would that provide good cover or just take up space? Is my lighting good enough for that?
As far as I know Dwarf hairgrass requires high lighting. It might do ok if you break it up like you mentioned.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
squishylittlefishies

She's finally here!!!!! or maybe it's a he... can't tell yet. We named it Slurpie. I rescued it from the petstore. She was in a bare tank(no gravel or ornaments)packed full of other fish... not sure what kind, they actually reminded me of little bala sharks, but I know they weren't due to the high numbers they were being kept in. ANYWAY...I also got a bundle of 5 anacharis that I put in there. I know it'll get big, but I'll move pieces of it into my main tank as it grows. I got some pond snails too. I'm keeping them in a seperate container in hopes of them breeding before I feed them to her. She looks so happy swimming around in her tank. I'm enjoying watching her 'hunt' the frozen bloodworms I'm feeding her. It was so cute cuz one got sucked up the filter so she was looking up the tube trying to find it like "where'd it go?"
I was worried before I got her that my ghost shrimp was going to become lunch. Then I added her to the tank... That ghostie is like 2 inches and she's about 3/4 of an inch! Well, they switched roles and after witnessing it attack her a few times, I put him in a different tank.
She's much more outgoing now. She seems so intelligent and is always exploring. Will post pictures soon!
Thanks!

Tags
aquarium, pea, pufferfish, pygmy, tank