Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Saltwater Puffer Fish

Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Minkota

First Puffer Advice...

I am considering getting a puffer for my 150g FOWLR. I always quarentine my fish prior to putting them in my display tank. I currently have a Lion Fish, Blue Throat Trigger, and a Pink Tail Trigger. I want to know the best way to quarentine a Puffer, I normally quarentine with Copper but its my understanding that puffers do not do well with Copper, so what do I use to ensure they do not bring Ich or Velvet into my display tank. Thanks
Minkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Reefing Madness
Banned

Hyposalinity.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
fyrfytr

I was advised putting my puffer with my lionfish. I have a porcupine puffer, fin nipper by breed.....could nip at the wrong fin on the lionfish
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
Discombobulate

Copper is okay with Puffers, this is a self propagated myth. You just need to be careful with the dosage. If it gets too high it does kill puffers, it is also down to the health of the fish at the start of treatment and body weight. A very white spotted puffer is always fragile. I have treated my Pufferfish (Porcupine) several times in a hospital tank.

Pufferfish and Lions are fine together, some of the puffers e.g. spiny boxfish/burrfish nip fins, but they are from my experience of 20 years with puffers fish and lions very good together. In fact I would say ideal as they are found together in the wild frequently. It does all come down to aquarium size though. I have never seen a pufferfish hurt a Lion just annoy it a bit!
Discombobulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
Discombobulate

PS Hypo, does work well but it nearly always comes back.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #6
changgonggao

I want to know the best way to quarentine a Puffer.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:50 AM   #7
Discombobulate

Quarantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by changgonggao View Post
I want to know the best way to quarentine a Puffer.
Depends on species and size. I used a 15 l with an external filter and heater. That worked perfectly, the puffer is a bit miserable but allowed me to treat with copper quickly and easily (or hypo). I changed at least 20% -50% water a day for two weeks.

As above for a 4-5inch or less porcupine puffer, a larger specimen will need 30l plus.

freshwater dips also don't work, but the puffer seems to enjoy it. Day in the spa I guess, for 30 mins with RO PH balanced.