Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Brackish Puffer Fish

Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
JML

GSP unhappy, hydrometer not working?

My GSP is about 3 years old now and in the last week he suddenly went off his food. I have fed him bloodworms, shrimp, scallops & live shrimp. He always seems to go off his food and wont eat that kind of food anymore. I don't know what else to feed him and snails are not an option. I think this happens when the salinity in his tank starts to get too high or low. I tried to check it yesterday but my hydrometer is not working. Its a Coralife Deep Six, about a year old. I made sure it was clean, the arm isn't getting stuck but it doesn't matter if i use fresh or marine water the arm reads off the charts. What can i do to fix it? I really do not have the money to go out and buy a refractometer right now, and after everything i've gone through to keep my GSP healthy, I really do not want to lose him. Any advice?
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
GwenInNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML View Post
My GSP is about 3 years old now and in the last week he suddenly went off his food. I have fed him bloodworms, shrimp, scallops & live shrimp. He always seems to go off his food and wont eat that kind of food anymore. I don't know what else to feed him and snails are not an option. I think this happens when the salinity in his tank starts to get too high or low. I tried to check it yesterday but my hydrometer is not working. Its a Coralife Deep Six, about a year old. I made sure it was clean, the arm isn't getting stuck but it doesn't matter if i use fresh or marine water the arm reads off the charts. What can i do to fix it? I really do not have the money to go out and buy a refractometer right now, and after everything i've gone through to keep my GSP healthy, I really do not want to lose him. Any advice?
Take your water to a fish store and have it checked. It might be more than just salinity. After 3 years you could consider going full marine. Get live rock and you could do less water changes. GSP's are messy, and need frequent water changes to keep parameters good. What is your nitrate levels? If you've not fed your puffer hard foods, he could be not eating because his teeth are too long, and he can't eat. Why are snails not an option? They love snails, and need the hard shell to keep their teeth worn down.

How big is your GSP and what size tank is he in?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Reefing Madness
Banned

What are your other water parameters?
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Pippin88

If you want a refractometer, you could check Ebay. I got a very nice one for about $20 or $30 on there.