Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Freshwater Puffer Fish

Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
NewFishFiend

South american puffers with ick :(

My poor babies mikey and harold have ick :( just discovered it today and went to lfs for treatment recommendations. They gave us a treatment for scaleless fish and i raised the temp to 82. Weve only had em a few weeks. They r about 1.5in long. Their tank was cycled when we got them but had a nitrite spike. Been doin 50% pcw and treating with prime amd today nitrites were 0 again. Ammonia is 0. Nitrates at 5 after pcw. Im worried about them. Also, been feeding them frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms and crushed up snails. Mikey eats pretty good but harold is not quite as vigorous at eating. They are both active and not acting sick. Ill post a pic of their tank and any suggestions will be grately appreciated.
Attached Images

NewFishFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
GwenInNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFishFiend View Post
My poor babies mikey and harold have ick :( just discovered it today and went to lfs for treatment recommendations. They gave us a treatment for scaleless fish and i raised the temp to 82. Weve only had em a few weeks. They r about 1.5in long. Their tank was cycled when we got them but had a nitrite spike. Been doin 50% pcw and treating with prime amd today nitrites were 0 again. Ammonia is 0. Nitrates at 5 after pcw. Im worried about them. Also, been feeding them frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms and crushed up snails. Mikey eats pretty good but harold is not quite as vigorous at eating. They are both active and not acting sick. Ill post a pic of their tank and any suggestions will be grately appreciated.

Sounds like you're doing all you can. Love the hides in the tank! Ich will need to run it's course. To be safe you might want to start with a lower dosage of the meds than directions indicate. Cute fish, best of luck. I'd say as long as they are eating, you're okay.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
NewFishFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
Sounds like you're doing all you can. Love the hides in the tank! Ich will need to run it's course. To be safe you might want to start with a lower dosage of the meds than directions indicate. Cute fish, best of luck. I'd say as long as they are eating, you're okay.
This morning they both gobbled up their crushed snail and the ick already looked better. The bad news is, nitrites are back up to .25 and nitrates are 0. Ughhhh. Treated the nitrite with prime. Im wondering if the ick medicine affected my nitrate bacteria.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
GwenInNM

Quote:
This morning they both gobbled up their crushed snail and the ick already looked better. The bad news is, nitrites are back up to .25 and nitrates are 0. Ughhhh. Treated the nitrite with prime. Im wondering if the ick medicine affected my nitrate bacteria.
Not likely meds effected your water. Cut way back on feeding, until your tank is stable. Nitrites are really bad for fish. Keep using Prime to protect your fish and keep up with water changes. With lots of feeding you are adding "waste" that your good bacteria can't convert fast enough to nitrates. I'm glad they are eating. That's a good sign :)
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
NewFishFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
Not likely meds effected your water. Cut way back on feeding, until your tank is stable. Nitrites are really bad for fish. Keep using Prime to protect your fish and keep up with water changes. With lots of feeding you are adding "waste" that your good bacteria can't convert fast enough to nitrates. I'm glad they are eating. That's a good sign :)
Well ive only been feeding them small small meals 2 times day with one of the above foods we talked about and i make them half a pond snail that i crush. As soon as their lil belly rounds out a bit we r done and i dont feed them again til late afternoon in which it is usually half a blood worm each. I read their metabolism is so fast that you almost have to feed them 2 times a day. I am very careful to not overfeed and i use a turkey baster to suck out anything they dont finish or if the piggies have a full belly but want to keep on eating.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
NewFishFiend

And now i just discover that they shouldnt be eating trumpet snails :( ima get some ramshorn snails to start breeding tomorrow :/
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
GwenInNM

Quote:
And now i just discover that they shouldnt be eating trumpet snails :( ima get some ramshorn snails to start breeding tomorrow :/
I doesn't sound like you overfeed, which is good. I used regular pest/pond snails with my puffer. You can usually get some for free at most fish stores. Yes, Malaysian Trumpet snails (MTS) are a no-no Snails you feed should be about the size of the fish's eye
Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
NewFishFiend

Just an update, mikey and harold are ick free and appear very healthy. Both are vigorous eaters now and even hunt their own snails. I have a ramshorn nursery goin. Got 35 clutches of eggs already :) seems like we got over this hurdle lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
GwenInNM

Quote:
Just an update, mikey and harold are ick free and appear very healthy. Both are vigorous eaters now and even hunt their own snails. I have a ramshorn nursery goin. Got 35 clutches of eggs already :) seems like we got over this hurdle lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Great to hear! Thanks for the update!