Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Brackish Puffer Fish

Old 04-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
tish031

New gsp owner, she has a black nose

Hi Im new to the forum and this is my first post. I am also a first time owner of a green spotted puffer my boyfriend bought me sunday from walmart as a birthday gift. I named her flint and she is in a 30 gall brackish tank with two fiddler crabs. I plan on moving the crabs to our 55 gall tank after the other fish are moved out since according to the research i found, puffers are high end brackish and crabs are low end. Flint appears to love her new home and is very good at hunting the small snails i drop in every morning. Sometimes she even plays with them and the shrimp before eating. My concern at the moment is her black nose. I have not found anything online about black nose on green spotted puffers just that black belly is a sign of stress or sickness. I even read all 10 pages of posts on here and tried looking on wet web media. But her belly is white and she is swimming, playing, and eating just fine. I did add start right Sunday night and then 1 tablespoon of melafix Monday afternoon because i noticed her fins were nipped and wanted to help out. I have added the Melafix every afternoon so far and tested the water again last night. The ph is 8.3, ammonia is 0, NO3 is 0, NO2 is 0.1, and SG is at 1.004. I plan on doing a small water change today too. Does anyone know anthing else i could do? I have some pictures i took yesterday if that helps. Oh her stress line is going away and I thought it was from getting used to her new surroundings.
Attached Images

tish031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
GwenInNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish031 View Post
Hi Im new to the forum and this is my first post. I am also a first time owner of a green spotted puffer my boyfriend bought me sunday from walmart as a birthday gift. I named her flint and she is in a 30 gall brackish tank with two fiddler crabs. I plan on moving the crabs to our 55 gall tank after the other fish are moved out since according to the research i found, puffers are high end brackish and crabs are low end. Flint appears to love her new home and is very good at hunting the small snails i drop in every morning. Sometimes she even plays with them and the shrimp before eating. My concern at the moment is her black nose. I have not found anything online about black nose on green spotted puffers just that black belly is a sign of stress or sickness. I even read all 10 pages of posts on here and tried looking on wet web media. But her belly is white and she is swimming, playing, and eating just fine. I did add start right Sunday night and then 1 tablespoon of melafix Monday afternoon because i noticed her fins were nipped and wanted to help out. I have added the Melafix every afternoon so far and tested the water again last night. The ph is 8.3, ammonia is 0, NO3 is 0, NO2 is 0.1, and SG is at 1.004. I plan on doing a small water change today too. Does anyone know anthing else i could do? I have some pictures i took yesterday if that helps. Oh her stress line is going away and I thought it was from getting used to her new surroundings.
Welcome! It seems like you are doing well by your little GSP. I hope your tank is cycled, and do be careful as you raise salinity. Go slow, no more than .002 per week. I've never seen that type of coloring on the nose. How long did you have it when it appeared? I don't think you should do anything, but just monitor it. If she is eating and active, you are good. Sounds like you've done your research on their care. Keep reading what you can find. Walmart is known for selling unhealthy puffers that often don't make it. Just keep an eye on it, keep your water clean, and don't overfeed. Feed to belly is round. Puffers love raw shrimp, mussels, talapia. You can get all these foods at your grocery store, just don't ever feed any of these foods cooked. Keep me posted. I had a GSP and as I got addicted to saltwater kept him in a full marine tank (many people do this). I've since placed him, because I have a reef tank, and they are not reef safe. Enjoy yours!

Gwen
Old 04-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
tish031

Thanks so much Gwen! I was getting worried something was wrong. And she had the black nose when I brought her home. I should have asked the lady working in pets to turn the tank light on so i could have looked at the puffers more closely. But she did say the puffers had just came in on saturday so my flint was only in their small tank for a day. Im hoping she makes it because I am already so in love with my puffer :). I even sing to her every morning! Flint likes the sound of my voice too. I gave her a small piece of raw tilapia this morning and flint ate that first. She even did a happy lil dance before going after the shrimp. Wish i could have recorded that but will try next time. I hope I take good care of my puffer like you and everyone else.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
GwenInNM

Quote:
Thanks so much Gwen! I was getting worried something was wrong. And she had the black nose when I brought her home. I should have asked the lady working in pets to turn the tank light on so i could have looked at the puffers more closely. But she did say the puffers had just came in on saturday so my flint was only in their small tank for a day. Im hoping she makes it because I am already so in love with my puffer :). I even sing to her every morning! Flint likes the sound of my voice too. I gave her a small piece of raw tilapia this morning and flint ate that first. She even did a happy lil dance before going after the shrimp. Wish i could have recorded that but will try next time. I hope I take good care of my puffer like you and everyone else.
Glad she liked some other munchies :) Don't forget the snails, they are very important to keep their teeth from over growing. Rule is snails should be not much bigger than the gsp's eye. I feel I do know pretty much about gsp's, and did do right by mine. People fall in love with them. Sounds like yours has a great personality. Because they are wild caught, I believe it is best to provide for them as best you can and replicate their natural home. I've found few people on this site who keep GSP's. You may also want to join Thepufferforum.com You'll find many puffer lovers there! Keep me posted! Love to know how she's doing.

Gwen
Old 04-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
tish031

Flint is doing good and the black color on her nose/mouth has faded away. She also has more bright color too! I asked some one st the pet store and they said it might have been part of the stress line or a bruise from being shipped. Sounds plausible but who knowss? I did add more plants and a bubbler which flint seems to enjoy. I like to watch her hunt down snails that try and hide in the plants . And I am joining the puffer forum tonight. I read some threads on there and everyone is so helpful! I tried adding some pics but it wont work on my phone. Oh my name will be the same on the puffer forum too.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
tish031

Here are some new pictures of flint and her tank. I plan on getting some reef sand and more plants tomorrow. Hopefully by then my puffer forum account will be active.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
tish031

Oops I meant to resize the tank pic not the one with the rock. Silly me :)
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
GwenInNM

Quote:
Oops I meant to resize the tank pic not the one with the rock. Silly me :)
She looks great You must be very relieved. I'm sure I'll see you over on the puffer site, but I don't really spend any time on that site anymore, because I don't have a puffer

I have a freshwater tank still, but have really gotten addicted to marine and corals. My GSP was doing fine with my corals (so far) but because they are not reef safe, I did find a home for him where he went into a nice 125 gallon. I do miss he's eager, cute face, but . . .

Gwen
Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Romad
TFK Moderator

Awwwwww..... Flint is adorable. I'm glad to hear that she's coming around quickly.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
tish031

Thanks I think my puffer is very cute too. And I am so happy she is doing better. I think I can relax now and give the internet a break on gsp research. And spend more time watching flint while I enjoy my coffee :). Leaving in a few days to spend a week with my family in Michigan so I hope my boyfriend takes good care of flint. I'm going to miss my lil girl so much.