Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Brackish Puffer Fish

Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
littlec

Question How many snails should I have?

I still do not have a puffer yet. Waiting for tank to cycle. I have started a 10 gallon tank of pest snails. How many should I wait to have before I get the puffer so I have enough food for it? I currently have about 30.

I've had about 20 die on me. don't know why, parameters are perfect. I feed em several mini algae wafers once a week.

littlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
NewFishFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlec View Post
I still do not have a puffer yet. Waiting for tank to cycle. I have started a 10 gallon tank of pest snails. How many should I wait to have before I get the puffer so I have enough food for it? I currently have about 30.

I've had about 20 die on me. don't know why, parameters are perfect. I feed em several mini algae wafers once a week.
I seem to never have enough snails.... I have 2 SAPs. I feed them a snail each a day about the size of their eye. Sometimes I give them shell-on shrimp. I swear 2 weeks ago I bought 30 snails AND had a ton of eggs that I added to my already set up snail tank and just the other day I had to buy 20 more. I would say, as many as you can get lol. Seriously, I have no idea where they all go.... I think a lot of the smaller ones get sucked into the filter or maybe sucked up in gravel vacuuming. They are so nasty tho I hafta vacuum the gravel like 2 times a week. I hate my snail tank.....
10 gallon snails
NewFishFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
littlec

LoL! I removed a suspicious fake plant yesterday that had about 20 dead snails under it. I did use it in a QT tank before but I dipped it in boiling bleach water and thought that was good. Guess not. I threw it out. I dumped a bunch of algae wafers in and a spinach leaf. They are all gathered up on the food today. Hopefully that means they will live.

I get my figure 8 puffer Wednesday!!!!!

littlec is offline   Reply With Quote