Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Puffer Fish Diseases

Old 12-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Jae9110

Figure 8 puffer lumpy belly.

I have a figure 8 puffer fish his name is puffy (yes i know).. His tank is cleaned weekly and has 3 live plants in a 5 gallon tank with him. All of the water levels are fine. I just cleaned the tank last night.
His belly is lumpy could it be internal parasites?
he acts normal eats like a little piggy.. although i do not over feed him!
I give him dried brine shrimp, on occasion live snails ( and non survive a day or two) and blood worms again on occasion.

thoughts?

and if i can figure out how to get him so sit still for a second i will post a picture of his lumpy belly..
Jae9110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
GwenInNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae9110 View Post
I have a figure 8 puffer fish his name is puffy (yes i know).. His tank is cleaned weekly and has 3 live plants in a 5 gallon tank with him. All of the water levels are fine. I just cleaned the tank last night.
His belly is lumpy could it be internal parasites?
he acts normal eats like a little piggy.. although i do not over feed him!
I give him dried brine shrimp, on occasion live snails ( and non survive a day or two) and blood worms again on occasion.

thoughts?

and if i can figure out how to get him so sit still for a second i will post a picture of his lumpy belly..
Figure 8 puffers are brackish water fish in case you didn't know. A lumpy belly is usually food. Is it always this way or just after you feed him? Are you saying the snails don't live more than a few days because they are freshwater and you are putting them in brackish? What type of snails are you feeding?

Gwen
Old 08-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Discombobulate

Figure 8 Puffers are brackish but they can live perfectly well is fresh water. I have kept F8 in freshwater for years and they grew large and healthy. The are used to changing conditions of salinity. Lumpy bellies are normally okay, they pass the food through their system then the lump reduces. Tried to over feed puffers, it is not easy you will kill the water before them. A useful food supplement for them is woodlice, strange I know but they love them and as long as their diet is supplemented and balanced it helps break down their teeth/beak.
Discombobulate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, figure 8 puffer