Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Brackish Puffer Fish

Old 10-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Tayyybra

Question New with many questions

Hi my name is Taybra and im new to this forum. i work in a fish store but we dont carry fw or brackish puffers very often so i have mannnnyyy questions! i ordered two Figure Eight puffers two days ago for my home aquarium (55 gal) and they are set to arrive tomorrow. ive done everything i need to EXCEPT the ph is a little low, its 6.5-7 and i read that it needs to be 8. what do you suggest i use to raise the ph for this sp of puffer? the substrate in the tank is crushed shells just because thats what i used in it when i set it up about a year ago. also, any puffer advice you can give me would be nice considering this is my first experience with puffer fish. Thank You
Tayyybra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
badxgillen
Reference Team

You might want to switch to some crushed coral or aragonite to naturally raise the PH. There are a number of other alternatives to get the PH higher such as buffers for cichlids and salt water tanks.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
badxgillen
Reference Team

Start em off on some frozen foods, if you don't have any live ,such as brine shrimp,blood worms, or mysis. You can try out some pellet food too but some times a new shipment won't eat dry foods immediately. Remember a slow acclimation too as the shipment water will most likely be of a low PH,test it if possible as to avoid PH shock.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
BGabriellaN

20 gallon brand new unsetup tank!!!!!

Hi Everyone!

I was hoping you all could help me. I bought a Marineland 20 gallon tank that have not started setting up yet. I want to make it wonderful for 2 or 3 South American Puffers a.k.a. Bumblebee puffer.

I love animals and have 2 dogs (a Pug and a Jack/****zu) and a horse and a 10 gallon tank that was given to me as a present.....the tank, filter and lights. I added the gravel, 12 inch air stone, fish and extras.

Needless to say, I am hooked. Unfortuneately, I am limited by funds and my husband (LOL).
Can you guys help me to set it up properly....what will I need and what plants and fish will work best with the SAPs?

Thanks in advance.
BGabriellaN is offline   Reply With Quote