Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Freshwater Puffer Fish

Old 06-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
GwenInNM

Thinking of a DP in a 10 gallon?

I want to put a 10 gallon in my office where I work. It sounds like DP aren't that fussy with ph levels, but water here is relatively hard at about 8.0. I would make it a planted tank, and would like to have 2.

The information I want to tell you that might make this decision, is I work at a school, and have 2 week breaks a few times through the year. Is it too much to ask to put small snails in and leave them for 2 weeks?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
NewFishFiend

hmmm, I'm not very familiar with DPs as I have SAPs. I can offer you this, I know my SAPs have very high metabolism and it is recommended to feed them small meals until they have a rounded belly twice a day. If I put a bunch of snails in there tanks I'd come back to find them bloated and unable to swim at the bottom of the tank. They will eat with no regards to fullness and because they are "stretchy" they can really stuff themselves. And still try to hunt for more. I add a few snails a day for Mikey and Harold and make them hunt them. Sometimes I'll feed them small pieces of shrimp with the shell on. And maybe once a week or so they get frozen bloodworms.

Something else I know about all puffer species- they are notoriously messy eaters.... IDK if leaving them for an entire 2 weeks at a time would be adviseable at all, but seeing as I've never kept a DP and also that I hate leaving home and rarely leave longer than for my 13-15 hour shifts at night, I may not have the best advice.
10 gallon snails

Last edited by NewFishFiend; 07-06-2013 at 06:21 AM.
NewFishFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
GwenInNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFishFiend View Post
hmmm, I'm not very familiar with DPs as I have SAPs. I can offer you this, I know my SAPs have very high metabolism and it is recommended to feed them small meals until they have a rounded belly twice a day. If I put a bunch of snails in there tanks I'd come back to find them bloated and unable to swim at the bottom of the tank. They will eat with no regards to fullness and because they are "stretchy" they can really stuff themselves. And still try to hunt for more. I add a few snails a day for Mikey and Harold and make them hunt them. Sometimes I'll feed them small pieces of shrimp with the shell on. And maybe once a week or so they get frozen bloodworms.

Something else I know about all puffer species- they are notoriously messy eaters.... IDK if leaving them for an entire 2 weeks at a time would be adviseable at all, but seeing as I've never kept a DP and also that I hate leaving home and rarely leave longer than for my 13-15 hour shifts at night, I may not have the best advice.
Thanks for responding. I already thought it through, and decided it's not a good idea for the reasons you stated. I'm not new to puffers. I cared for a GSP, but did place him, after I got too interested in corals, and didn't want any of them munched on

I'm planning a dwarf cichlid "multi" "shellies" is the common name, tank. Only get about 1", males a bit larger.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
NewFishFiend

Awesome! Post pics when u get it set up
10 gallon snails
NewFishFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
GwenInNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFishFiend View Post
Awesome! Post pics when u get it set up
I will!