Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Freshwater Puffer Fish

Old 10-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Lordzim

Talking Looking at getting Dwarf puffers

Hi all!

This is my first post here. I'm thinking about getting dwarf puffers for my 75 gallon tank. I've read its about 5 gallons per puffer but i don't want to over do it with them I want the little guys to be happy and have plenty of space. What are your recommendations in terms of numbers for a tank this size. I know these little ones can be pretty aggressive if they don't feel they have enough space.

Also as a potential first time puffer owner is their any advice you all can share about dwarf puffers and is there any other species of fresh water puffers i might be able to consider? I'm not looking to do brackish or salt water at this time in my life but later on hell yah! :)

Thanks All
Lordzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Boredomb

Hi and Welcome to Tropical fish keeping!

A 75 gallon is a huge tank for dwarf puffer! Is this tank going to be just for them?
I have these fish in the past and they are great lil fish. Usually you want a ratio of 1 male to 2-3 females. Males can be very aggressive towards each other when females are involved. In that size tank I am not sure how many to stock as I have never own that size tank. LoL
I would that first with something like 2-3 males and 6-9 females.

Dwarf puffers are or can be picky eaters. Juveniles will more then like not except anything but live foods. Black worms are readily except by them. Stating a culture of them for your puffers would be ideal unless you can easily get them from a local pet store. I couldnt so state one when I finally bugged mine enough to get some in. LoL

Snails are another food source they will never turn down and should be a must for them. Bladder/pond or Ramshorn snails will work.

These guys can be sensitive to water parameters too soo cycle tank is a must for them. Also keep in mine since they are a puffer and will puff up when threatened you should never net these fish and pull them out of the water. If they puff up out of water they will suck up air instead of water which can be deadly to them if they can't get it back out. Soo its usually best to use a cup to catch them in the tank and pull them out if you need to.

There are other fresh water puffers that might work in that tank but do you know your water hardness and Ph?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Lordzim

Thanks for the info! I'm still a few months out from being able to reset my tank for them. I've been breeding tiger Oscars for the last three years and am waiting on a buyer for the last three. I have a few people interested, and as soon as they sell, I'm going to completely clean and replace things in the tank. let the tank cycle for a month and then restock the tank. The Ph for my Oscars is a 7.4. and where i live the water is super hard so i will have to soften it when i get the tank set up again

The tank would be for the puffers plus two cleaner fish (depending on what would live best with them. I have a friend in Denver who keeps bristle nose pleckos in his tank and they have no problem)
Old 10-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Boredomb

When you rest the tank for them make sure to have lots of things in there to break the line of sight up. This helps with aggressive issues plus helps to create territories for the males. I don't know if you have live plants in your tanks or not but they work great for these purpose plus help with water qualities. Fake plants would work the same tho.

He has bristle nose plecos in his tank with dwarf puffers?? The only fish I have heard that can possibly work is Oto catfish. This is simply because they can move fact enough to get out if the way of the dwarf puffer.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
Boredomb

One other thing I didn't mention and I had a problem with this the first time I bought them. When I went to the store to buy them. I got 2 males and 4 females. The store owner put them all in the same bag and I took them home. Well on the ride home which is only 5miles the two males got into it and one got his tail fin ripped almost completely off. O.O I had to out him into a QT tank sadly he didn't make it. Soo I would ask the store worker/owner to put the males into a separate bag. I don't know if others have had this issue or not but it can be one for sure.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Lordzim

Thank you so much for all the information! i really appreciate it :) on the note of the live plants, I haven't done a plated tank before. I might give it a go this time. also good to know on the plecos, I took a close look at my friends and their fins are beat up. so i wont be going with them. ill take a look at the Oto catfish. once again thank you Boredomb!

Tags
dwarf puffers