Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Brackish Puffer Fish

Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
pufferfan13

Figure 8 with Yellow Horned Nerites

I may have run across something that can help with some small algae issues. I've been trying to raise Yellow Horned Nerites (mostly because I like them for another tank) so one day I threw one in the Puffer tank to see if he would bother it. The snail is yellow and black. The coloring is almost identical to a Bumblebee Goby so it got me thinking maybe my puffer will leave it alone... it would be the first snail he's every left alone for sure. The snail has now been in there for a couple weeks in plane sight and it doesn't look like he's been attacked at all.

Has anyone had any success with that type of snail staying alive in a puffer tank? I don't plan on stopping any water changes, but this might just help maintenance a little...
pufferfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Reefing Madness
Banned

Never heard of any snail surviving a Puffe being in the tank. Only time will tell. Migh be possible the snail is to big for him yet? Keep us posted. Also, I you used RO water and had no phosphates, your tank would be a lot cleaner of algae.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
pufferfan13

Reefing - I thought the same thing about size, but my puffer has taken down many much larger snails. Time will tell... you're right. It would just be nice to have a small cleanup crew... nothing much but a little something. Also, I agree, I do use RO water but like many people could stand to do water changes more frequently. The tank isn't bad at all, just a bit more work than other FW tanks with tons of snails and cats.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Reefing Madness
Banned

Ever think of throwing on a skimmer?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
pufferfan13

Never really looked into a skimmer. I just have a 30g long. Would that be overkill? Does it filter like my hanging types or something totally different? Any recommendations for brand and size?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Reefing Madness
Banned

Yea, it kinda hangs on like the filter types. Now, just to make sure here, we are talking brackish water, right?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
pufferfan13

Absolutely. I've had my puffer for about a year now in brackish water. I think I fluctuate between about 1.004 and 1.008... sound about right?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Reefing Madness
Banned

Should maintain more like 1.009 constant. But yours is ok for what your keeping.
Skimmer is just another form of filtering, but it takes waste out of the water column before it has a chance to accumulate. Kinda helps the water quality out. A skimmer will only work on the higher levels of Salinity, so I'd say with the way your keeping your water, I'd skip it.

Last edited by Reefing Madness; 02-13-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
changgonggao

I you used RO water and had no phosphates.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
pufferfan13

really works

This little experiment has really worked for me. I've probably got 3 or 4 Yellow Horned Nerites in my 30g with my Figure 8 and he's never touched them. He is definitely big enough to take them down, but won't. I even let him go a few days without feeding to see if that would tempt him but still nothing. I would also say it has helped my water quality, I never need to clean the glass. Just thought I would post again with the update. I've been really happy with the results.