Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Freshwater Puffer Fish

Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
tford92

Starting out!

Hi there,
I'm new to both puffer fish and forums!
I'm looking at setting up a tank for South America puffers, but there's so many different opinions on the Internet, I'm a little lost!

From what I think, to start out (right from scratch) you had a little water, then some sand (this seems to be the best choice out of sand and gravel) then the rest of your water and cycle it? I'm still looking at how to cycle it... Is this something the filter does and then you check levels?
Again, there seems to be so many different types of sand, is there one that's best for saps?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! Want to make sure it's just right!

Thank you!

Tammy
tford92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Boredomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tford92 View Post
Hi there,
I'm new to both puffer fish and forums!
I'm looking at setting up a tank for South America puffers, but there's so many different opinions on the Internet, I'm a little lost!

From what I think, to start out (right from scratch) you had a little water, then some sand (this seems to be the best choice out of sand and gravel) then the rest of your water and cycle it? I'm still looking at how to cycle it... Is this something the filter does and then you check levels?
Again, there seems to be so many different types of sand, is there one that's best for saps?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! Want to make sure it's just right!

Thank you!

Tammy
Hi Tammy, Welcome to the forum!

Cycling the tank has to do with the Nitrogen cycle. Here is a sticky you can read.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

Also here is a page that tells ya how to cycle a tank without fish.
Using Household Ammonia for Humane Cycling of a Tank

There are different ways to cycle a tank to start the Nitrogen cycle (the establishment of the bacteria in the tank.) I always like a lot of other ppl cycling the tank without fish or with the ads of plants. During this process you will need to setup tie tank with what ever you want decoration wise and a substrate and along with a filter of choice.

Sand as a substrate is excellent and can be super cheap if you use play sand. That's the sand I use and lots of other ppl use. You can use aquarium sand that you buy from the store but its alot more money.