Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Freshwater Puffer Fish

Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
squishylittlefishies

Dwarf puffer with mollies?

Hi!
I have a dwarf puffer in a 2.5 gallon aquarium. The problem is that I am constantly battling algae. It is on the sand and everywhere, when I clean it, it has all grown back by the next day. I can't get an algae eater because the tank is too small.
Anyway, so I was wondering if I can move her into my larger aquarium. Its inhabitants are two friendly balloon mollies, and 3 oto catfish. I may also be adding kuhlis soon. My bp is super sweet and cautious. She can't even eat or kill her snails because she is so gentle. She is 1 inch long . She has also never even touched the shrimp that is with her. So, do you think she would get along with the balloon mollies? what about kuhlis? Feeding won't be an issue, because I hand feed all of my fish individually. It would also be good, because then I'd have the 2.5 to use as a fry tank (and the babies would take care of algae) which I need for my baby mollies.
Thanks for input! Let me know if you've had success with a setup like this!
-Albert Einstein.
squishylittlefishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Boredomb

In all honesty its a bad idea. I know you said she is peaceful but that won't last. The Otos are fast enough that they can move out of the Puffers way but I don't think the Mollies will be. Dwarf Puffers are best kept by their selves.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
squishylittlefishies

Well, I've had some baby mollies in with her right now, and they've been getting along fine for the past few days. The mollies actually school with the puffer, which I figure they wouldn't do if they were being bullied. I might try it anyway, and if I see any agression I can just pull her out. She's way easy to catch because I have her trained to come to my hand, and the pointer I use in training.
-Albert Einstein.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
InvertPlanet

1" dp is kinda big. If it is solo and lots of places to hide it might work, but you'll be hard pressed to find a DP in a larger tank.

The reason you don't see it eating the snails and shrimp is because they typically don't attack anything larger than their eye. Thus baby snails and shrimpletts are prime feeding targets.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
squishylittlefishies

ok, just to folow up: she's now been in my 10g tank for about 4 months. she gets along well with all the inhabitants. I see her often, right up at the front of the tank with all my other fish saying hi! She eats well and requires no special feeding. she joins in the feeding frenzy at the surface and picks all the bloodworms out of the mix of flakes. she tries to eat the flakes too but doesn't care for them much.
I'm happy to report this sucess! and, for all who are wondering what I did with the 2.5g, I turned it into a (very time consuming, but very amazing) pico reef stocked with coral and inverts. I love it so much!
-Albert Einstein.

Tags
baby, loach, molly, pufferfish, pygmy