Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Brackish Puffer Fish

Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
WhiteWitch

Question Tank-mates for a Green Spotted Pufferfish

Hello

Me and my brother both have a GSP. However my tank is empty (besides my fish) while in his he has a neon tetra, peacock eel, and a plecostomus. The puffer fish never bites them and usually acts as though they are not there. I have always read that puffers are aggressive and should be kept solitary but my brother is having so much luck with tank-mates, I decided to give it a try. Do any of you have any ideas about a small tank mate I can start out with? I don't want to fish he has and I have been looking at Silver Mollies and Albino Tiger Barbs, are those good? Any advice given is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by WhiteWitch; 04-24-2013 at 12:56 PM.
WhiteWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
WhiteWitch

Oh! An important thing to add is that the fish should be able to live in brackish water.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
BWG

Is this the same green spotted puffer you had in a 1 gallon tank and were hoping to get a 5.5 gallon for?
BWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
WhiteWitch

Yes.. I have the 5.5 gallon now and he is actually pretty happy. I've done a bit of research and I love the bumblebee gobies but, would they be to small and he wold mistake them for food?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
BWG

I hate to tell you this, but no tank mates in that tank. Not a single one. The reason for that isn't that the puffer might mistake them for food, but that tank is beyond too small for the puffer alone. A 33 gallon long is what I'm seeing recommended for the minimum tank size. You should continue trying to re-home and get something more appropriate for the tank size. By appropriate I mean either shrimp or a single betta.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
WhiteWitch

I have tried everywhere and no one wants him and I don't want to return him to Wal-Mart because they will kill him. I know the tank is too small but I'm not allowed to get anything bigger and he seems pretty content at the moment. Green spot on head and green body, white stomach, normal eating and swimming patterns ect. I really don't even want to risk getting shrimp because every time my brother got some, they killed all the fish in his tank from parasites and illnesses things they carried.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
BWG

No not fish and shrimp in there, shrimp. Does your brother have the same size tank? If so it's more likely his fish are dying from ammonia poisoning.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
WhiteWitch

I get it. He has a 5.5 gallon but ever since he upgraded to it, not one fish has died, it's always clean, and the puffer gets along with them perfectly. Do you have any idea why they get along so well together but everyone else says they are aggressive solitary fish? It confuses me so much.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
BWG

Don't say it's clean. Give us the test results. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph. If your brother's tank checks out I will be amazed.

I'm not trying to be rude, since I think you're just young, but if you know your tank isn't big enough for your fish why are you looking for more fish to live with it?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Chesh

I have to agree entirely with BWG on this one, though I'm sure you already knew that. . .

IF you were housing the Puffer in a tank of the proper size, perhaps then we could look at possible stocking options, but I can not in good conscience recommend that you add anything into this tank, only re-home the Puffer, as we spoke about in your previous thread.

Considering all you have now learned about Puffer fish, I must admit that I'm fairly shocked to see you even considering adding any other creatures into this setup. 5.5 gallons is still too small, far too small, for this fish to lead a healthy, happy, or long life. . . even all alone.

We all make mistakes, we all started somewhere, and many of us on the wrong foot. . . we go from there, we fix our errors and set things right, we learn - and we try not to make any more. Please don't do this?

If you genuinely have the best interest of the animal(s) at heart, you will not stop looking until you have found him another home. Please keep trying. Have you posted on Craigslist? Freecycle? The Pennysaver? Most veterinary offices have a bulletin board where people are able to post pets that they are trying to find homes for. . . you're sentencing this fish to death!

If your only option truly is returning him to WalMart, do it. At least then he has a CHANCE, however slim, of finding a proper home, and your hands are clean. At the very least, you're joining with others in refusing to buy, and returning, fish purchased from there, which will ultimately lead to the company losing money. When this becomes enough of a problem, they will shut down their fish department. My local Walmart no longer carries living animals. Return him.

Betta, shrimp, snails, a single African Dwarf frog - these are possible options that are better suited to a tank of this size - after you have found the Puffer a new home.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gsp, mollies, puffer fish, tank-mates, tiger barbs