Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Brackish Puffer Fish

Old 08-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
Deku

Walmart puffer?

Umm well i today couldnt resist i saw some dwarf puffer thats how they labeled it :3 they were in walmart and theres not any other place where i could get em one of em were seperated and had the tail fin semi nipped but it seemed like its healing so i kinda uhh bought it cuz i was told dwarf can go well in a ten :3 and these were cute this one was nipping at the mollies but i still like it :3 its just soo cute it was like please get me away from these very bad ppl xD so im making it a project to see if its possible to buy a walmart fish even if it might be sick and nurse it back to health well i went to petsmart and the guys over there actually knew what they were talking about because i asked questions about puffer that i already knew xD but just to test em so they wouldnt know and they knew so they told me since its from walmart that i should try an all medicine(as in for every fish illness) and you put it in the tank and its not copper base more carbon based and were going to try it were also trying a product call stress coat i heard it helps recover nipped fins and the slime coat though this puffer fish i swear to god it actually seamed a bit healthy the only thing was the nipped fin(tail fin) but he swims alot he has a natural healthy color you know hes not dull like hes kinda bright hes yellowish and has small spots :3 idk what to call it but im soo excited xD i feel like im going idk xD im just happpy but i want to know if there are some other preventatives that i should prob buy tommorrow when im going to the petstore like right now my dad told me to just use the gravel for now because the tank has been cycled (four weeks) and with biospira too i also am using a ph neutrolizer and im going to buy the food and the plants and get alot of snails (pond snails) just wondering what else should i get him(its a he) to prevent him from dying?
Deku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
willow

was he in a tank with mollys,or you have put him with mollys ?
if you have put him in with them,they need to be removed right away.
Puffers should be a species tank only.! more than two males will
probably fight.the tank needs to be heavily decorated,so it breaks
the eye line .plants,silk/plastic.Caves for hiding.
i have dwarf puffers,three in a ten glln.two girls and a boy.
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Deku

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow
was he in a tank with mollys,or you have put him with mollys ?
if you have put him in with them,they need to be removed right away.
Puffers should be a species tank only.! more than two males will
probably fight.the tank needs to be heavily decorated,so it breaks
the eye line .plants,silk/plastic.Caves for hiding.
i have dwarf puffers,three in a ten glln.two girls and a boy.
well in walmart it was but its not right now xD i find him cute though it has yellow on top of the head and spots sorrounding the whole body :3 also i got a guarantee if the fish dies within the week to return it xD but i wanna prevent its death so is there anything else i can use? will he be okay with gravel just for today?
Old 08-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
willow

hmmmmmm,have you not anything you can give him to hide in
or behind, even a plastic plant pot.
or some plants from another tank.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Deku

Quote:
hmmmmmm,have you not anything you can give him to hide in
or behind, even a plastic plant pot.
or some plants from another tank.
yes yes i do! xD thats where my sunken ship comes in :3 btw i just mesured him (ill start calling him zora in here so you know that im talking about him) hes well he measures 2-3inches xD hes rectangular when viewed from sides but from front hes like ballish also the plants i will be getting tmmorrow
also forgot to add right now ima try to feed him some plankton but he just says in the bottom exploring the bottom and hes more like staring at me all the time
Old 08-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
iamntbatman

If he's 2-3 inches, he's likely not a dwarf puffer as these only get to be about an inch long. He's more likely a green spotted puffer, which will eventually need a much bigger tank and brackish water in order to survive.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
Deku

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntbatman
If he's 2-3 inches, he's likely not a dwarf puffer as these only get to be about an inch long. He's more likely a green spotted puffer, which will eventually need a much bigger tank and brackish water in order to survive.
how big? because soon ill be getting my 100gallon tank :D meaning i can use the 40-50gallon tank :3 btw if i use sand umm will i have to keep buying new sand everytime i siphon? oh and snap! Zora just ate greedily the plankton i thought he was starving and then as he ate his belly kept getting fatter i think im in love with this guy (not more of a human to human love more of like human to pet love) xD Its like i dont care how much itll cost i just wanna care for it >< i feel soo happy soo can you give me all information needed? i just read that its most likely a spotted puffer
Old 08-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
willow

iamntbatman,has the right info for you.
i don't know about those puffers.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Deku

Quote:
iamntbatman,has the right info for you.
i don't know about those puffers.
is he online? cuz i kinda dont know sometime he appears offline but then hes not xD lol so yeah also im willing to do whatever it needs to be happy :3 so i wish to know EVERYTHING especially breeding pondsnails also when breeding pondsnails can i just use a trashcan (container like) its like big and white i wanted to see if i can use it will i need some sort of filter? i dont really wanna buy another filter xD
Old 08-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #10
iamntbatman

I'm not an expert on the green spotted puffers, but they get to be about 6" long so I think a 40-50 gallon tank would be appropriate long term. You can't really house any other fish with them as they can be very mean and might kill other fish. Even if the fish was purchased living in freshwater, it will need to be slowly converted to brackish water. The end-level salinity for green spotted puffers kind of depends on who you get your information from. Some say they need mid-range brackish, while others say they eventually need full marine conditions. This means that as the fish grows, you will have to very slowly convert it to at least a brackish tank by adding water with marine salt mix during water changes. You'll need a good hydrometer in order to properly measure salinity.

As for diet: well, I'm not really sure. I'm not sure that pond snails will work long term as they might die in brackish water. I would imagine that things like frozen krill and live ghost shrimp would probably be a good choice.