Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Freshwater Puffer Fish

Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Andarial

Dwarf Puffer Male Not Eating Well

Hi guys, ok so my problem is my newest little dwarf puffer male is not eating well. He's losing weight like mad and it's worrying me. He's not showing too much interest in snails, makes me wonder if he even knows what they are, and when he eats blood worms he only takes a few bites. I have been thinking about getting some frozen blackworms. But they only come in huge quantities >.< I was wondering how hard it is to keep the live ones and if it's even a good idea to get the blackworms? Any thoughts?

BTW Right now I have 5 puffers in a 25 gallon, three females and two males. Everyone is doing great but this little guy.

5 gallon
~White/Teal/Red Betta- Phantom, Snails

25 Gallon
~Leopard Gecko- Desert Rose
Andarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Chesh

I'm sorry your Puffer isn't well, hopefully will be along soon that can help :(

I've been looking into culturing, lately too. Mind if I listen in?

Last edited by Chesh; 05-10-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Andarial

Well apparently getting blackworms is a good idea but so is trying some other foods, like mussels (well cleaned) and other such goodies. For keeping them it doesn't sound to hard it sounds like all they need is fresh cold water daily, and air. They also need to be stored in the fridge. but supposedly they are really healthy and good for the babies and easy to get them to eat. Which is what I'm worrying about right now. I will try them and see if I get any results with my little ones, if you don't get any by then I will let you know how it went ^^

5 gallon

25 Gallon
Old 05-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
Boredomb

I have never heard of a Dwarf Puffer that wouldn't eat a snail?!? I had juveniles that even ate them but I guess it can happen?
Live Blackworms are great. I would definitely try them. Mine goes nuts for them!! My doesn't care too much for anything but Live blackworms,snails, and frozen Bloodworms. The frozen bloodworms were kind of a trick to get him to take them. At first he wouldn't eat anything that didn't move!

Oh btw if you get Live blackworms and keep them in the frig you will definitely need to change the water every day! I think they will only live a few weeks that way maybe a lil more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Chesh; 05-10-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Andarial

Just lost the little one D8 guess he didn't eat enough to sustain him last night T^T I noticed too late it seems. Everyone else is pigging out on bloodworms now, and I will be getting blackworms later on. also doing a major tank cleaning soon to make sure there is no disease floating around.

5 gallon

25 Gallon
Old 05-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Boredomb

Sorry to hear about that, Andarial!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Chesh

I'm sorry you lost him, too.
Glad the other four are doing so well, though!
Let us know how you do with your wormies, when you get there, please!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote