Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Freshwater Puffer Fish

Old 10-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
treehugger861

Freshwater puffer fish for a 20 Gallon tank

i have a 20 gallon freshwater tank and i want to get some puffer fish, what kind can i get and can i get more than one? What puffer fish work for this tank setup?
treehugger861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
kelly528

You could definitely fit a handful of Indian Pea (Dwarf) Puffers in that thing... just be sure you are getting the freshwater species. In fact, you could probably make it a brackish tank without too much hassle. In any case, extremely hilarious and entertaining fish, despite their size!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
treehugger861

cool thanks, how much do that cost, and where would i find some?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
wumpus

liveaquaria.com I've never ordered from them but they do have them and none of my local places do.
wumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
treehugger861

oh, i found a local store that has them in stock! If i go and get them tomorrow, what should i do to get ready? I have two 20 gallon tanks, one has guppies in it, and the other is empty. I was thinking i could move the guppies to the bottom tank and then put the puffers in the top tank, that way the water will be cycled (or whatever the term is). Is this a good idea and is there anything else i should do?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
liveaquaria.com I've never ordered from them but they do have them and none of my local places do.
Yeah they are relatively cheap. You could even find them at a LFS, I'm sure. Just be sure to include lots of plants and hidey-holes... they are territorial buggers! Also, they will need a fair amount of research unless you are experienced with puffers. There's more than a few things you should know before you buy... Like these:
5 Things You Should Know Before Buying a Dwarf Puffer Fish - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...f_Puffers.html
Old 10-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
MXS

Make sure the tank is cycled before getting the dwarf puffers.

Add some plants and decorations to break up their view from one another, this won't be a probably in a 20 gallon tank.
Make sure you have bloodworms (frozen or live) or snails to feed to the puffers.

Good luck!

Dwarf Puffers : Home

Videos of My Tanks
MXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
treehugger861

ok thanks, i have never had puffers before. I do have plenty of plants and rock caves, and i was going to bring in a water sample when i pick them up, so i can be sure the tank is ready. The tank should be cycled, my guppies have been in there for months.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
MXS

One more bit of advice, while cleaning the tank you might want to net the DPs and put them in a clean container with some of the tank water. They'll be fine and you won't suck them up!

Videos of My Tanks
MXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
Twistersmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXS View Post
One more bit of advice, while cleaning the tank you might want to net the DPs and put them in a clean container with some of the tank water. They'll be fine and you won't suck them up!
For all of my tanks with small fish, I use this. biOrb and biUbe Cleaner Pump - Aquarium Maintenance - Fish - PetSmart
The siphon has a screen covering to prevent any fish from getting sucked up. You want to be very careful, not to expose the puffers to any open air. Puffing up in the open air can be fatal for the puffers. If for any reason, I had to remove the puffers from the tank, I would use a small container, (the ones that bettas come in, works well) and with a net, direct them into the container. That way there was no chance of exposing them to open air.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote