Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish    

Go Back   Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish > Puffer Fish Diseases

Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
wlodarski

Unhappy Dog Face Puffer- not eating and two new spots

Hi,
Thank for any help in advanced. I have a 200 gallon saltwater tank and have had this Dog Face Puffer for 3 years. He always eats. Two days ago, I noticed he did not eat his food. I noticed he had a new funny spot by his dorsal fin, like dark blemish with a pimple in the middle. Today, he still will not eat and has a second spot (similar) by his front fin. He is active like always, same behavior. All other tank mates eat and swim as usual. I will be performing some water tests today and will try to post a photo of the spots. Again, thank you for any advise!

Sebastian
wlodarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
wlodarski

Two photos, hope these help.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
rosehower

did u get the water params yet?? has there been any improvement as far as apetite? the bump looks to me like a little fish bit, are there smaller fish in there that could have bit your puffer??
i hope other members get a chance to look at this, i am no puffer expert myself..

try to test your water and then post the params, more people should chime in once you have done that
rosehower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
wlodarski

rosehower,
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry, forgot to post a reply on the params of the water tests last night. PH, ammonia, and Nitrite levels are great. The Nitrate level are high, I performed a water change just over a week ago. I was going to do another one next week. The invertebrates (crabs) do not seam affected with the elevated level of Nitrates.
I have not seen any appetite changes last night after this post. When I get back home, I will re-assess.
I currently only added stress coat. Worried as to what the treatment path should be (fungus, parasite, or bacteria infection (internal/external). I just do not want to diagnose.

I thought that it looked like a pinch mark from a fish. A Luminar Wrasse swims all over the place and hangs out close to the puffer. The Luminar's mouth is about the size of the dark area. I just do not understand why that would affect his appetite. No additional marks or signs of stress, on either the Wrasse or puffer.

Thanks,
Sebastian
Old 02-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
wlodarski

I was reviewing some other posts and located some other issues of appetite problems with Dog Face Puffers.
I am guilty of feeding him Krill. I also feed brine shrimp and silver sides once a week.
Thanks Dawn, if you see this.
From bettababy:
The 8th comment/reply:
http://www.pufferfish.net/showthread.php?t=36451
Old 02-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
rosehower

yea, it looks to me like a bite, and the stress for a bite (i'd think) will cause stress to the puffer (the one being attacked)
try to keep a really close eye on how they are when next to eachother. is one of them looking angry, is one of them looking like they are afraid? etc.

yeah, i have heard about the "puffer crack" (krill) problem before. i also learned that some slatwater puffers tend to go on hunger strikes. if you read a few threads about pufffers who arent eating you'll see this is the case sometimes.

Nitrates are high? perhaps from the uneaten food. i'd scale back the food so there isnt any laying around at all. you could do the water change earlier to get the levels back to norm. then retest and then keep a good eye on your puffer.

keep us updated!

Last edited by rosehower; 02-11-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: removing
rosehower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:22 AM   #7
Pufferpunk

Just how high is that nitrate? If your nitrate is high & you haven't done a WC since last week & you're worried about your puffer, why are you waiting until next week to do another water change?

Lunar wrasses are pretty vicious.
Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
wlodarski

Thanks for everyone's help and the wealth of information on this forum.

Sorry, for the delayed response.

I performed multiple water changes since we last discussed. My reasoning for waiting, not sure if I am/was correct, was due to my concern about making a drastic change. I did not want to 'shock' things any more.

I also increased the salinity, per another thread. The combination of this action sparked the puffer's appetite again. I have been monitoring everyone, and everyone is playing nicely together. I have never noticed any evidence of aggression between the wrasses and any other fish. The marks on the puffer have slightly faded.

Thanks again for this great forum and it's members willingness to help.

Sebastian

Tags
dog face, fins, pimples, saltwater