is this okay?? - Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
bluuepopogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
is this okay??

hi im anxious about my new puffer, i only had him for a few days and he is acting fine but his spots turned pale, when it was dark black, is it something to worry about or is it natural??
~thank you
bluuepopogi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Member
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluuepopogi View Post
hi im anxious about my new puffer, i only had him for a few days and he is acting fine but his spots turned pale, when it was dark black, is it something to worry about or is it natural??
~thank you

What kind of puffer is it? Has your tank been cycled? Sounds like he is stressed. Please tell more about what temp you are keeping him in, size of tank, and what levels your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are at, and you will get more help.

Welcome!

Gwen

Just because animals can't talk, does not mean they should not be heard
GwenInNM is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 19
In general when fish go pale, it's because of stress. In addition to the questions Gwen posed, are there any other fish in the tank?
ladayen is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Member
 
InvertPlanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bancroft Ontario
Posts: 502
Let me guess... green spotted puffer?




If you think I am too abrasive there is a little triangle icon in the bottom left of your screen to "report post".
InvertPlanet is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
bluuepopogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
its a dwarf puffer fish
yes the tank has been cycled
the temperature is 78 deg F
ammonia is 0.5, nitrate is 20, and nitrite is 0.5
the tank size is 5.5 gallons
he has 3 more tank mates (dwarf puffers)
bluuepopogi is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Member
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluuepopogi View Post
its a dwarf puffer fish
yes the tank has been cycled
the temperature is 78 deg F
ammonia is 0.5, nitrate is 20, and nitrite is 0.5
the tank size is 5.5 gallons
he has 3 more tank mates (dwarf puffers)

Do a 50% water change. Are you speaking about the tiny puffers, that are freshwater and called Pea puffers also?

How is the fish doing?

Gwen

Just because animals can't talk, does not mean they should not be heard
GwenInNM is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Member
 
InvertPlanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bancroft Ontario
Posts: 502
Yep they are also called pea puffers. unfortunately the tank appears to still be cycling (causing stress) and you have 3 puffers too many in there. Definitely would recommend a larger tank.

The recommended tank size is 5 gallons PER puffer. That would mean 20gals for those 4.




If you think I am too abrasive there is a little triangle icon in the bottom left of your screen to "report post".
InvertPlanet is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertPlanet View Post
Yep they are also called pea puffers. unfortunately the tank appears to still be cycling (causing stress) and you have 3 puffers too many in there. Definitely would recommend a larger tank.

The recommended tank size is 5 gallons PER puffer. That would mean 20gals for those 4.
I agree
Reefing Madness is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Puffer Fish Information - Pufferfish, Boxfish, and Cowfish forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome