|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|05-28-2012 12:33 PM|
Originally Posted by JML View Post
|05-27-2012 07:53 PM|
|JML||I also think part of the problem is because the fish is about 4 inches long now and he's still in a 10g and he puts out a lot of waste. Really need to upgrade the tank but waiting for something nice to come along before i waste the money on a 30g standard setup from walmart. i manage to keep his tank very clean. the algae has been the only problem and like i said its growth has slowed.|
|05-27-2012 07:49 PM|
i don't have any testing kits yet. every time we go to the store we're never sure exactly which ones to get so we leave empty handed. they're really expensive so don't want to get the wrong ones.
i figured the algae was from the salt. but it refused to go away on it's own like everyone said it should. i could only clear it by cleaning the tank for some reason
|05-27-2012 02:43 PM|
|Reefing Madness||You now have a MArine Tank, with Marine problems, one of them being a Diatom Bloom. Which in time will take care of itself. Not a long time by the way. If its a brown algae as you describe, and its a dusting all over the things in your tank, its diatoms. The green algae happens also, but for other reasons. What are your phosphate readings? Are yoiu using tap water for your wate changes? If so, your going to get a phosphate reactor and use something like Chemipure to get those phosphates out.|
|05-27-2012 02:21 PM|
|JML||yes im sure it's algae because it's brown. it is no matter now. I ended up having to do a 50% water change and have been keeping the hood light off until night time and it has greatly reduced the growth of the algae|
|02-15-2012 12:38 AM|
Since you have washed things that the beneficial bacteria are on, then yes I would definitely test for ammonia, nitrite.
Algae growth could be caused by the duration of your tank lights, how long are they on for? are you sure it is not salt residue on the rocks etc and indeed algae?
|02-15-2012 12:31 AM|
Slowely going full Salt & now algae?
10 gal tank, so far over the last 4 weeks have managed to switch out 4 gallons of fresh for 4 gallons of salt. Using a hydrometer to keep an eye on the levels. We noticed as soon as we added the salt (Instant Ocean), algae started to grow on the rocks and glass. We just did the last water changeover like 2 days ago and at that time we removed his rocks/cave/plants & pebbles and strained them in nice hot water to clean everything. I have a nice tank scrubbing brush so cleaning the glass was a piece of cake. Since then everything has been great. Fishy is doing wonderful. His appetite has grown immensely and he is also growing aswell. We have had him a month and a half and he has grown at least half an inch or more :)
Is the algae growth just something that happens with the salt? Or does it mean that i should test the nitrate levels and ammonia? What should we do? Husband really loves this fish lol.